[ale] Re:

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Fri Jul 2 09:54:40 EDT 1999

Tom wrote:

> Why is it that if i unplug my mouse or keyboard, then re-plug them, Linux
> no long sees either input?

I suspect this is not specific to Linux.  Generally if you have a ps2
type of mouse, and disconnect it from most any computer, it will not be
recognized again until you reboot.  I've got 4 computers with three
different OS's connected to the same mouse/monitor/keyboard via a switch
box. If the switch box loses power, (looks to each computer like the
mouse has been disconnected) then Linux, win95 and NT all require
rebooting before the mouse will work again.

As for the keyboard, it's probably a similar issue, yet I don't seem to
have that problem.

If you're in the habit of disconnecting these devices, then you should
follow the suggestion of an earlier poster to purchase the device he
suggested.  I've seen a number of them advertised.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

It should be illegal to yell "Y2K" in a crowded economy.
	-- Larry Wall, creator of the programming language Perl