[ale] 2.2 packages

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Sat Jan 30 17:23:37 EST 1999

Wandered Inn enscribed thusly:
> Chris Ricker wrote:

> > > Should I be wary of the knfs??  Can you build it as a module?

> > It's not as well-tested, and it's different, but I've not had problems with
> > it for a couple of months now.

> Should I get 2.2.1? I'm compiling 2.2.0 right now...

	Depends...  Are you in a position where you would worry about
someone crashing your box by debugging a core file?  If the answer to
that is yes - then get 2.2.1.

> Thanks for the info.  One thing I've found terribly interesting about
> Linux development and beta code.  It rocks compared to Microsoft based
> production code.  It's unbelievable how solid the Linux beta/dev. code
> is in comparison to what most people think of when they think beta.

> Thanks again, oh-oh...  compiling 2.2.0, received:

> sb_ess.o(.text+0xde2): undefined reference to `esstype'
> sb_ess.o(.text+0xe77): undefined reference to `esstype'
> make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1

	Oh yeah!  That's the other reason to get 2.2.1 :-) (either that or
build your sound system as a module).  The esstype definition was
accidentally included under and "#ifdef MODULES".  Oopppsss...

> Suggestions welcome, I'm off to dig...

> --
> Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

> You mean you paid MONEY for Service Pack '98????

	Mike
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 925-8248   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/