[ale] Can't get above 8bpp in RedHat 5.2

Benjamin Scherrey scherrey at gte.net
Thu Jan 28 21:06:20 EST 1999

Mike Kachline wrote:

>         Try xinit -bpp 16. "startx" is just a shell script which
> essentially calls xinit. If all else fails, try "X -bpp 16". See also
> the man page for "XFree86".

xinit returns with xterm complaining about a bad command option -bpp (or --bpp
when I tried that JIC). However, X -bpp 16 worked! Unfortunately it only gives
me a grey X screen with a mouse and no menu or xterm or nothing.

> <snip>
> > Additionally <ctrl><alt>+ doesn't cycle the video modes either which is
> > something that I know used to work on one of the boxes.
> <snip>
>         This is an option which you can set in your XF86Config file. I
> think XF86Setup gives you a checkbox to enable/disable this feature. Take
> a look at the "DontZoom" option within the man page for "XF86Config".

Well DontZoom seems to have no effect but looking at the man page for XF86Config
(didn't know config files had man pages!) reveals the DefaultColorDepth setting
for the Screen section which, when assigned the value of 16, gets me working!
Still can't toggle resolutions but that's not the main problem!

    thanx & later,

        Ben Scherrey