[ale] fbcon Graphics reference

Brad Dixon brad.dixon at gtri.gatech.edu
Wed Jan 27 14:19:10 EST 1999

Hello,

I have an proof-of-concept application where I am going to need a very
simple way of accessing a color bitmaped display. Looking at all of the
buzz about the 2.2 fbcon got me interested.

I read the kernel documentation on how to set the modes and do ioctl calls
to the /dev/fb? device. I looked at the XFree86_FBDev source to see how
they set up the fbcon device and mmap it in. What I don't get right now is
once I've set it up and mmap'ed it how do I "draw".

My only guess right now is from the kernel source where they display the
boot logo (include/linux/linux_logo.h). The gimp plugin linux_logo also
supplies some hints. Obviously you write a sequence of byte values to a
range of the fbcon device.

Q: Does anyone have a definitive reference for how to (once an fbcon is
set up) make images appear.

Thanks,

Brad

--
Brad Dixon
Georgia Tech Research Institute -- Atlanta, GA
brad.dixon at gtri.gatech.edu