(no subject)

Marc Vogt mtv at theor.chemistry.gatech.edu
Mon Jan 25 11:46:33 EST 1999

I thought I had a little problem, but it seems that it is worse than I thought.
A couple of weeks ago, the power went out on my home computer (the power goes out here
all the time, anytime it rains).  Usually when that happens, at boot up, it gives
the standard, hda unclenaly unmounted, check forced, deleted inode fixed etc...
But this time it gave me unrecoverable errors and said to run fsck manually (without -a or -p
optinons). So I did fsck -A and just did default answers to all questions and it seemed to
delete some inodes an do its thing.  I could then boot up (with some error messages about
ceratin things missing, I think it was all stuff in /tmp though I don't have access to
it right now since I am at work.  Everything seemed to work okay , at least all the stuff I use,
X-windows, xterms, telnet, ftp, netscape.  But this morning I tried to install word perfect
so I did: mkdir /usr/local/wp.  But when I tried to move anything there,
I got an I/O error.  So I tried to rmdir /usr/local/wp and it said there was no such thing.
So I made /usr/local/wordp and moved the tar file there and did the extraction tar -xvf.
It made the first few files and then got I/o errors for the rest.  I also got an I/O
error when I ried to more the readme file.  I don't know anything about hardware,
so I was wondering if my harddrive is screwed from a hardware perspective or
if these problems can be solved from a software perspective and if so,
any ideas on what needs done?  It's not like the boot up is telling me, "hey, you are
missing these files!".

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Marc