[ale] 3COM Prob - Help Please,

bwentdg at pipeline.com bwentdg at pipeline.com
Mon Jan 18 16:47:10 EST 1999

I'm making some,very slow,  progress in getting my 3Comm card to work in my
IBM ThinkPad.
{Editorial - I Cannot Believe its this $#@@# hard to get a "supported card"
to work on a stable release, RedHat 5.2,
                   in a generic, sort of PC -- This DOES NOT bode well for
the widespread acceptance on LINUX - nor does
                   RedHat's blow off "Its not an Install problem" that
RedHat doesn't work on your supported cards. Note the
                  card installed and worked 1st in 2mins on WINDOWS 95 }

My current question this:

I looked at the WINDOWS IRQ's  - attached and the LINUX "/proc/interrupts" -
attached.

Is it relevant that the "interrupts" is different from the IRQ's ?

WINDOWS puts the card at IRQ 9, LINUX at Interrupt 3   - Which is Where
WINDOWS has the DSP ?
Or am I just grasping at straws ?

LINUX - Interrupts
=============
0:      42842   timer
1:        616   keyboard
2:          0   cascade
3:          2   3c589_cs
8:          1 + rtc
10:          2   i82365
12:       6801   PS/2 Mouse
13:          1   math error
14:       4595 + ide0
15:          0 + ide1

WINDOWS
==========
IRQS - In WINDOWS

01 - system Timer
02 - Keyboard
03 - Digital Signal Processor
04 - Communications Port(COM1)
05 - Crystal PnP Audio
06 - Floppy COntroller
07 - Printer Port LPT1
08 - System CMOS/real time clock
09 - 3com Megahertz LAN + 56 Modem PC Card (B) (Ethernet Interface)
09 - 3com Megahertz LAN + 56 Modem PC Card (B) (Modem Interface)
09 - 3com Megahertz LAN + 56 Modem PC Card (B)
10 - ThinkPad DSP
11 - IRQ Place Holder for PCI steering
11 - Texas Insturments PCI-1250 Carbus Controller
11 - Texas Insturments PCI-1250 Carbus Controller
11 - IRQ Place Holder for PCI steering
11 - IRQ Place Holder for PCI steering
11 - Intel 82371AB PCI to USB Host Controller
11 - NeoMagic MagicGraph 128XD
12 - PS/2 TrackPoint
13 - Numeric data processor
14 - Standard Bus Mastering IDE Hard Controller
15 - Standard Bus Mastering IDE Hard Controller