[ale] Two sound questions

Aaron D. Yonka aaron.yonka at ipst.edu
Mon Jan 18 11:29:39 EST 1999

First of all, thanks to everyone who responded to my last question about RH
5.2 deals.  I've now successfully installed RH 5.2 (after trying to upgrade
first and crashing hard.  Such are newbie growing pains.)

Now, I'm trying to get my soundblaster AWE 32 to install.  sndconfig failed
everytime, wiping out my conf.modules file that contained my ne2000 network
card settings.  I've managed to properly hand-configure my card... at least
I think it is all working.  I can get sounds to play by 'cat file.au >
/dev/audio' ...

I want to be able to use the MIDI on the AWE 32, but when I try 'playmidi
-a midifile.midi' I get an error about /dev/sequencer not being configured.
 Any hints or suggestions?

Secondly, I'm trying to get sound to work with WindowMaker.  I downloaded
WMsound and ran the ./Install script and got two errors (the following is
copied from my screen):

----------------------------
 WMSound-0.9.0 Installation
----------------------------
Specify your default audio device [/dev/dsp]
:  /dev/audio
Using audio-device : /dev/audio
----------------------
 Generating Makefiles
----------------------
./Install: xmkmf: command not found
------------------------
 Building WMSound-0.9.0
------------------------
make: *** No rule to make target `install'.  Stop.
 Generating Default WMSound Domain
Make sure you copy the generated WMSound config to your Window Maker Global
Defaults path ... (probably /usr/local/share/WindowMaker/Defaults)

Installation completed.

So my question (I think) is:  Where do I find xmkmf?

--
Aaron D. Yonka