[ale] ssh help?

Mike Kachline kachline at cc.gatech.edu
Sun Jan 17 23:22:34 EST 1999

On Mon, 18 Jan 1999, Nomad the Wanderer wrote:
>Thus spake Mike Kachline (kachline at cc.gatech.edu):

>> On Sun, 17 Jan 1999, Nomad the Wanderer wrote:
>> >I did all this.  I can ssh from remote to local and use the RSA,
>> >but I still can't go from local to remote.
>> <snip>
>> 	Hmm. What does "ssh -v remote.box" tell you, and is sshd running on
>> remote.box?
>>

>This is neat..  It refuses the authentication.  Any ideas why?
>
>{0}:dogbert:/home/nomad>ssh -v dudley
>SSH Version 1.2.26 [i686-unknown-linux], protocol version 1.5.
>Standard version.  Does not use RSAREF.
>dogbert: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh_config
>dogbert: ssh_connect: getuid 1000 geteuid 0 anon 0
>dogbert: Connecting to dudley [206.168.154.1] port 22.

  <snip>
  <snip>

>dogbert: Trying RSA authentication with key 'nomad at dogbert.rnd-consulting.com'
>dogbert: Remote: Bad file modes for /usr/shell/n/nomad/.ssh/authorized_keys
<snip>

	Well, if it helps any, my authorized_keys file is chmoded u+rw g+r o+r.
The man page for ssh says as follows:

$HOME/.ssh/authorized_keys
            separated by spaces).  This file is not highly sen-
              sitive,  but  the   recommended   permissions   are
              read/write for the user, and not accessible by oth-
              ers.

	...which I guess means I ought to do some chmoding of my own. :) My
only other guess would be that one of your machines is talking ssh1 and the
other is talking ssh2. Try using "ssh1 dudley". If things hose, then try "ssh2
dudley".  I'm thinking that perhaps' dudley's sshd is an sshd1, whereas the
"ssh" client on dogbert is actually soft linked to "ssh2". I have actually had
this problem before. sshd2 daemons refuse to talk to ssh1 clients, and vice
versa. :(

									- Mike
Michael Kachline CS, Georgia Institute of Technlology
kachline at cc.gatech.edu
http://brightstar.gt.ed.net/kachline