[ale] OffTopic: RCS

Benjamin Scherrey scherrey at gte.net
Thu Jan 14 22:14:22 EST 1999

    There are two general source code control systems that I generally recommend
(and use) for multi-platform (and even single-platform) projects. Intersolv's
PVCS and MKS' Source Integrity. For people looking to move from NT to UNIX or
like having UNIX-like features under NT, MKS has their MKS Toolkit product which
provides a UNIX shell type command prompt which is kinda neat.

    There are no free SCCS products that are worth a heck that perform on
multiple platforms. Everyone in the Linux world seems to use CVS. I presume
because its what's available because I find it a poor excuse for a SCCS. Its
locking and versioning concepts are simply plain wrong. Of course, so is
Microsoft Source Safe's.

    Perhaps someday this will change. Its certainly on my list of projects that
I'd like to do in my spare time. Don't expect it this decade...

        Ben Scherrey