[ale] [Fwd: Large capture files.]

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Wed Jan 13 08:58:07 EST 1999

On Wed, 13 Jan 1999, Wandered Inn wrote:

> Anyone know if this is true?

Yes and no.  On 32-bit platforms, ext2 only supports 2-gig file sizes
(though much bigger partitions).  Doing anything larger is difficult to do
w/in 32 bits.  There are patches available (and I've got the best one saved
someplace, so let me know if you need it) to add support for larger files on
32-bit platforms, but they're (a) a bit of a hack, obviously, and (b) too
late for inclusion in 2.2.  2.3 is expected to get larger file support for
32-bit (possibly).

On 64-bit platforms, ext2 supports and always has supported much larger
files.  I think the limit is 4 TB, though I didn't do the math to check
that.  If large file support for 32-bit doesn't appear in 2.3, it will be
because a sizable contingent of the developers are of the opinion that if
you need larger files, you upgrade to real hardware ;-).

later,
chris

--
Chris Ricker                                            kaboom at gatech.edu