[ale] On the Hardware Note... (was: Bringing HW to Joe's tomorrow)

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Tue Jan 12 07:59:29 EST 1999

You've got the right idea.  You've got to teach them early. :)

My machine is a dual boot Linux/win95.  It spends 95% of the time in
Linux. My daughter (7, (that's her age, not her name..) likes playing
solitaire, xmahjongg and backgammon, under Linux.  She's been playing a
bit of chess on a regular chess board, but she's not quite got the hang
of it.  Looks like that's next for the old Linux box.

She has her own login and knows how to use lilo, login and fire up X.
She's already recognized that we don't have near the problems with Linux
that we do with Windows.

She knows daddy's a programmer and understands that a computer runs on
'programs.'  She told me the other day that 'That Mr. Gates (she's got
her manners) should take lessons from the guy who wrote Linux.  She then
asked me who wrote Linux.  I gave her a short answer that Linus started
it, but that just about the rest of the world has been helping.  She
said: "Cool, maybe I can write a program for Linux."  I've created a
monster...

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

You mean you paid MONEY for Service Pack '98????