[ale] Printer daemon

Jim Lynch jwl at sgi.com
Fri Jan 8 12:14:54 EST 1999

Jeffery B Layton wrote:

> Hello,
>
>    I tried connecting my HP 5M the other night. I used printtool to set it
> up and I printed a test page from printtool. However, the next night, I
> tried sending something to the printer using lpr. It spooled OK but was
> screaming about the daemon not running. I read the man pages for lpc
> and tried several options to start the daemon. However, no joy. Could
> anybody offer a few suggestions for this seemingly simple problem (that
> I can't figure out!).
>
> TIA,
>
> Jeff Layton
>
> g593851 at fs1.mar.lmco.com
> -or-
> laytonjb at mindspring.com
>
> P.S. I probably spelled daemon incorrectly, but I hope you get the idea.

lpd is the daemon.  On Debian (and some other distributions) lpd is
started via the /etc/init.d/lpd script.

Try to start it manually via:
/etc/init.d/lpd stop
/etc/init.d/lpd start
(as root)
and see if a lpd doesn't start.  If it doesn't take a look in the syslog
and see if there are any error messages.
At least on Debian, there is a /var/adm/lpr.log file that might have
something in it also.

Try man lpd, too.

Jim.
--