[ale] WD 10.1 hard drive...again

Michael D. Ivey ivey at realminfo.com
Mon Jan 4 22:18:51 EST 1999

On Mon, Jan 04, 1999 at 09:43:26PM -0500, Vernard Martin wrote:
> I've heard that this has something to do with the BIOS. These hard drives
> even have problems with Windows without the special drivers. So, you
> aren't going to be able to get them to work under the current linux
> distributions until someone writes software to handle it. Sorry. I have
> heard of no success stories with hard drives larger than 6.8G under linux.

well, maybe i can actually have some good news to share tonight.

my main fileserver has 3 4.6G drives raid5'd together...well, that
should be past-tense.  2 of the 3 failed.  so, i am now restoring from
backups onto a...wait for it...

...10141.2 M Western Digital 310100 IDE hard drive, which linux saw
perfectly.  this is _not_ the boot drive.  it is the secondary IDE
master.  running 2.0.35.

sorry, i have no idea what i did to make it work...i didn't even see
this message that it might not until i had run e2fsck on it, and
started the tar process that is currently humming away in the
background.

/mdi.  working late, to the sound of tape.  mmmm...tape.

--
michael d. ivey: director of emerging technology (http://realminfo.com/~ivey/)

No meddle en los asuntos de magos, porque son sutiles y rápidos
    encolerizar.