[ale] Sound Card?

Eric Z. Ayers eric at compgen.com
Sat Jan 2 13:03:42 EST 1999

The only sound cards that install w/o any hassles are the old non plug
and play variety.   If you are running a RedHat distribution, there is
a sndconfig program that will configure many sound cards (even PnP
ones)

But, if you go to your averge joe computer shop and pickup a <$20
sound blaster compatible sound card, it will probably be plug and
play.  You can get these cards to work, but you have to use the
'isapnp' tools, which in my opinion are  not easy to get going - but
it WILL eventually work.  Use a recent kernel (maybe 2.2 pre2?) and
compile the sound driver as a module - then you can specify the I/O
ports and IRQ's on the commandline to 'insmod' or in /etc/conf.modules
if you are using kerneld.

-Eric.