[ale] Need Recommedations On Multi-Port Serial Card

David Dagon david.dagon at mindspring.com
Mon Feb 8 23:33:24 EST 1999

bwentdg at pipeline.com wrote:

> I am looking for a recommendation on a supported board has multiple RS232-C
> connectors.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't we up to "232-E" with an IEEE standard
instead?
Picky picky.   I'll bet the old cables will work anyway; it's all just wire.

> I am looking to have several MODEMS and other things attached to the box.
> Does anyone have a recommendation on a good card ?

I had to find an IO card a while back; I opened several in the store (!) and
picked
the one with a table of jumper settings etched on the card.  This has proven
be a very important quality, and allowed me to manually set the IRQ without
much fuss.

For a few dollars more, you might look for cards that let you set the IRQ with

software (though I imagine this can be done only in Windows).

To see what resources are taken and available, you can of course:

       cat /proc/interrupts
       cat /proc/dma      <--- probably not needed for simple IO card
       cat /proc/ioports

Your next question will likely concern passing IRQs at boot time, and
there is, I believe, a HOWTO that covers this in part.

Cheers,

David Dagon
david.dagon at mindspring.com