[ale] rsh of gimp

Bob's ALE Mail transam at cavu.com
Fri Feb 5 14:42:36 EST 1999

> I've got two boxes networked together. I use one monitor and rsh
> processes from the machine without a monitor.  Works fine with netscape
> terms and other things.  When I attempt to rsh gimp, I get a message "**
> WARNING **: cannot open display:"

> I can fire up an xterm via rsh and then fire up gimp from that xterm and
> it starts fine.

> Is gimp somehow braindead or what??

Assume the box that you invoke rsh on is foo, instead of

	rsh bar gimp

try

	xhost bar
	rsh bar "setenv DISPLAY foo:0.0;gimp"

This is needed for most X programs because they use DISPLAY, which
defaults to the console of the machine that they are running on.  Debug
this using xv or xclock.
> --
> Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

Bob Toxen
bob at cavu.com http://www.cavu.com
transam at cavu.com [ALE & Linux Laptops]
Fly-By-Day Consulting, Inc.

"The bad reputation UNIX has gotten is totally undeserved, laid on by
people who don't understand, who have not gotten in there and tried
anything."  -- Jim Joyce, owner of Jim Joyce's UNIX Bookstore