(no subject)

J. Reeves Hall overcode at neutron.halltech.net
Thu Feb 4 23:26:43 EST 1999

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Michael B Golden wrote:

> 	Well, I decided that even if I couldn't use the CD-ROM as a
> module, I needed access anyway. Since I was using a precompiled kernel
> anyway, I didn't think it would hurt to try several others to see if they
> could access it. I went through two or three, and then I tried the SBPCD
> kernel. Note: I was loading these through LOADLIN.EXE. It miraculously
> detected my drive in the auto-scan, but I can't access it now. I forgot
> to log my trying to mount it, but here is what it showed in
> /var/log/messages at boot time:
>
> Feb  4 21:03:37 darkstar kernel: sbpcd-0 [15]:  Scanning 0x230
> (SoundBlaster)...
> Feb  4 21:03:37 darkstar kernel: sbpcd-0 [16]:  Drive 0 (ID=3): CR-563
> (0.75) at 0x230 (type 1)
> Feb  4 21:03:37 darkstar kernel: sbpcd-0 [17]:  You should read
> linux/Documentation/cdrom/sbpcd
> Feb  4 21:03:37 darkstar kernel: sbpcd-0 [18]:  and then configure
> sbpcd.h for your hardware.
>
> When I try to mount /dev/cdrom, it says that it can't load /dev/mcdx0 or
> something like that and also something about the kernel doesn't recognize
> it as a block device. What does this mean, and how do I fix it?

Try this:
mount /dev/sbpcd /mnt/cdrom
(presuming /mnt/cdrom exists).
I suspect that /dev/cdrom is just pointing to the wrong device. It should
point to /dev/sbpcd. It does sound like you have a Panasonic 2X CD-ROM,
probably with a Sound Blaster 16 card. I happen to have one of those.
Works great.

-Reeves