[ale] CD-ROM (Almost)

Michael B Golden naugrim at juno.com
Thu Feb 4 21:36:56 EST 1999

	Well, I decided that even if I couldn't use the CD-ROM as a
module, I needed access anyway. Since I was using a precompiled kernel
anyway, I didn't think it would hurt to try several others to see if they
could access it. I went through two or three, and then I tried the SBPCD
kernel. Note: I was loading these through LOADLIN.EXE. It miraculously
detected my drive in the auto-scan, but I can't access it now. I forgot
to log my trying to mount it, but here is what it showed in
/var/log/messages at boot time:

Feb  4 21:03:37 darkstar kernel: sbpcd-0 [15]:  Scanning 0x230
(SoundBlaster)...
Feb  4 21:03:37 darkstar kernel: sbpcd-0 [16]:  Drive 0 (ID=3): CR-563
(0.75) at 0x230 (type 1)
Feb  4 21:03:37 darkstar kernel: sbpcd-0 [17]:  You should read
linux/Documentation/cdrom/sbpcd
Feb  4 21:03:37 darkstar kernel: sbpcd-0 [18]:  and then configure
sbpcd.h for your hardware.

When I try to mount /dev/cdrom, it says that it can't load /dev/mcdx0 or
something like that and also something about the kernel doesn't recognize
it as a block device. What does this mean, and how do I fix it?

Michael Golden
Naugrim at Juno.com (Normal, no attachments)
MGolden at Airapps.com (Only for messages with attachments.)
Slackware 3.5 (2.0.34) Linux user -- Linux Advocate

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]