[ale] Modules

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Thu Feb 4 00:55:38 EST 1999

On Wed, 3 Feb 1999, Michael B Golden wrote:

> 	Because my hard drive on the computer I am working at is nearly
> full, I can't install the kernel source. I have two things which I need a
> new kernel for. These are support for my CD-ROM and support for my Sound
> Card. I was wondering if it is possible to compile these as modules
> without the kernel source.

Most likely not.

> Note that I'm not even quite sure I know what
> the modules are supposed to do, but I can't recompile the kernel until my
> other system works. :( Also, is there a way to telnet for example into
> another box which has the kernel source for newer kernels, and then
> compile there and copy to my system and make it work right?

Yes.

> Or do I have
> to compile locally?

No.

To compile it elsewhere, do the normal make ; make dep ; make clean ; make
bzImage ; make modules.  Then, make a temporary directory, say /tmp/modules,
and do a

make modules_install INSTALL_MOD_PATH=/tmp/modules

(or wherever you put the temporary directory instead of /tmp/modules)

Now, just tar up /tmp/modules and copy that and your new System.map and
bzImage over to your box and drop them in the appropriate places.

later,
chris

--
Chris Ricker                                            kaboom at gatech.edu