[ale] Recommendations for Linux References

jeff_hubbs at mcgraw-hill.com jeff_hubbs at mcgraw-hill.com
Wed Feb 3 13:29:56 EST 1999

Linux Journal is definitely a good magazine to read regularly - in fact,
I've only bought two issues so far but I tend to read then over and over
again because I find the articles extremely informative.  For instance, I
don't know if I would have known about the EXPECT utility if not for an
article about it in LJ and because of that, I was able to have a major
light bulb go off in my head when looking for a solution to a major problem
I'm having at work:  how to automatically sequence the shutdown and
power-down of several midrange computer systems upon a signal from a
data-center-sized UPS.

LJ helps me in terms of perspective-setting.  No one I work with or know
personally (not counting you fine people on this listserv) knows much if
anything about Linux (although I've attracted a lot of curiousity and
interest over the past few months among same), so it's nice to keep tabs on
what people are accomplishing via Linux and what kind of products are
available.  For instance, in addition to EXPECT, I also found out about the
Cyclades multi-port serial card, which may well allow me to replace four
dual-session dumb terminals (VAX and MicroVAX consoles) with a single PC.

For books, I'm now using the third edition of Linux Unleashed (Tim Parker,
Sams Publishing) and Linux Network Toolkit (Paul G. Sery, IDG Books).  The
latter has much info about Samba and Internet firewalling, two specialty
areas of interest to me.

- Jeff

"Aaron D. Yonka" <aaron.yonka at ipst.edu> on 02/03/99 10:08:41 AM