[ale] pam vs. shadow passwords

Matthew Brown matthew.brown at cordata.net
Tue Feb 2 23:18:38 EST 1999

I can one-up you on the dumb-foundedness...

What's NIS/NIS+?  I keep hearing it.

Also, I am not so much worried about the ASCII file thing now that I think
about it  - I am really looking for something that will handle far more than
you could do in a file-based mechanism.

I need to achieve something in the 100's of thousands as far as a rough
order of magnitude, so a dB would be the thing, but I also need something to
interface naturally with the O/S.  This is one reason I am looking into
Linux, because the natural NT mechanisms - SAM's/NTLM start thrashing (I
hear) around 15-20k users.

Anyway, I really appreciate the input!  I think writing an auth mechanism
would be over my head right now, though.

Best regards,
-Matthew Brown
cordata.net