[ale] boot to new kernel on RedHat

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Mon Feb 1 02:08:26 EST 1999

On Sun, 31 Jan 1999, Wandered Inn wrote:

> jim wrote:
>
> > Now if I could only get all sound functions working, I would be happy. But
> > that's another story. Maybe more on that later. Anyway, the 2.2.1 kernel
> > compiles nicely on RedHat 5.2 without any immediate upgrades.
>
> I did this same thing, 2.2.0, although I have a complete mirror of my
> system on another partition.  I question the wisdom in this.  The
> Changes file pretty much says you should upgrade a number of packages.
> Question is, should I (and Jim) be concerned if our kernel seems to work
> fine with our current systems?

If you're running a modern distribution, you shouldn't need to upgrade much.

Also, note that most of the upgrades are usage-dependent.  For example, on
this machine, I have a 480 meg swap file, which means I had to get a recent
util-linux. If you're on Intel and swap files < 128 megs are fine with you
and you don't need the spiffy new mount that also comes with util-linux, you
can stick with your old util-linux. If you don't use dhcp, you obviously
don't need to replace the dhcpcd that was a casualty of the rewrite of the
networking layer, and in fact the dhcpcd on this machine almost assuredly
doesn't work, since I don't use it and haven't bothered to upgrade it.  If
you don't mind ifconfig reporting tons of spurious errors and aren't doing
anything complicated network-wise, you don't really need to upgrade
net-tools.  Etc.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is always good advice ;-).

later,
chris

--
Chris Ricker                                            kaboom at gatech.edu