[ale] Sportin' SCSI/RAID

Jeff Hubbs Jhubbs at NIIT.com
Mon Dec 27 09:54:09 EST 1999

Eric -

When a VMS cluster boots, all the nodes execute the same boot procedure
(although there can be node-specific procedures, there usually isn't very
much in them) and, best as I recall, each machine does execute MOUNT/SYSTEM
commands against the same volumes.

I'm not really trying to bemoan or belittle anything, but I *would* like to
see Linux achieve parity with VMS in the shared-disk cluster area and with
NT in the general clustering area as well.  I consider Beowulf-class Linux
clusters to be kind of a "special case" of clustering.

Both of the VMS cluster environments I've worked in had the goals of 1)
providing some measure of fault tolerance (i.e., one machine dies and you're
not totally hosed) and 2) expanding capacity for interactive users.  Neither
achieved full failover in the way that NT and some UNIX cluster solutions
hope to do and neither used multiple nodes to carry out some divisible
computational process in parallel, so, by some measure, VMS clustering was
left wanting too.

My particular Linux clustering idea really wasn't really all that concerned
with clustering per se because I expected the two machines to be
asymmetrical in both power and function.  The only real "cluster-like
feature" I was trying to introduce was the shared SCSI channel.  I think I
could accomplish what I was trying to do through NFS, but I wanted to avoid
relying on network stuff for disk access.

BTW, in an NFS export/mount situation, does the mounting machine do any read
caching, or does all that take place in the exporting machine?

- Jeff