[ale] Modem: internal or external?

Robert Heaven rheaven at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 22 10:26:36 EST 1999

I bought a Zoom 56k external and it works great. And, it's cheaper ($99) than the 3Com.

-robert

On Wed, 22 Dec 1999, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
 An internal modem not billed as a "winmodem" may work, but I would hold out for an
 external and here's why:

    * You will not have to futz around with IRQ and address settings other than
      those for your PC's serial port (which will be a no-brainer)
    * You will have an easier time arranging your IRQs - avoiding conflicts between
      components

 Consider that a modem that you buy now is probably the last modem you're going to
 buy.  As DSL and cable sweeps the country (but maybe not yet the world), I get the
 feeling that plain-old-modem technology is probably going to freeze just about
 where it is.

 YMMV, but the safest bet for external modems is probably the 3com (formerly known
 as US Robotics) line.

 - Jeff (now eyeing DSL with apprehension)