[ale] Modem: internal or external?

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 22 08:10:43 EST 1999

An internal modem not billed as a "winmodem" may work, but I would hold out for an
external and here's why:

   * You will not have to futz around with IRQ and address settings other than
     those for your PC's serial port (which will be a no-brainer)
   * You will have an easier time arranging your IRQs - avoiding conflicts between
     components

Consider that a modem that you buy now is probably the last modem you're going to
buy.  As DSL and cable sweeps the country (but maybe not yet the world), I get the
feeling that plain-old-modem technology is probably going to freeze just about
where it is.

YMMV, but the safest bet for external modems is probably the 3com (formerly known
as US Robotics) line.

- Jeff (now eyeing DSL with apprehension)