[ale] Fine tuning

Randy Janinda randy.janinda at ndcorp.com
Tue Dec 21 12:38:28 EST 1999

Hello,

I have been playing around in /proc again. I have a few
question for the security/internet minded.

netstat will show "active" connection (i.e. telnet,web,ftp...)
I notice that many of these conenction are in a "CLOSE_WAIT"
state. What are they waiting for? Does this have anything
to do with the values in /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_keepalive_time
or /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_fin_timeout? What are the security risks?
Can I change these values to increase security or workstation performance?

That should be enough for now.

--Randy Janinda