[ale] Newbie install question

smn smnoldelinux at mediaone.net
Sun Dec 19 09:06:02 EST 1999

I've had Lilo hang on me like what's described.  All my drives are IDE
and I've zeroed the drives many times to fix LILO and rebuild.

Zeroing the drives is a low level format and it works very well.

IBM should have a similar utility.  Look here:
http://www.storage.ibm.com/techsup/hddtech/hddtech.htm

"Eric Z. Ayers" wrote:

> I don't think you can low-level format most IDE drives. If this is
> some big mo IDE drive, maybe you just need to add 'linear' to the
> /etc/lilo.conf and re-run lilo.
>
> -Eric.

 > boot
LILO will