[ale] OpenBSD, FreeBSD

jj at spiderentertainment.com jj at spiderentertainment.com
Tue Dec 14 15:38:42 EST 1999

Mike Smith wrote:

>         Before you say that Linux doesn't cut it, you might want to try one of the
> BSD's.  I currently run OpenBSD 2.6 as my firewall and I like the security
> but it does lack certain tools that I am used to in Linux.  I could probably
> compile the kernel to include linux support but my goal is to keep the
> kernel small.
>
>         In comparison, the installation procedure is much better in Linux(my
> experience is with slackware and redhat).  There is a bit of guesswork that
> goes into setting up your drives in OpenBSD.  Make sure you read the faq
> carefully.

I'm one of those folks who reads docs after.. I got OpenBSD installed and it was alot
faster then redhat, the interface is not as pretty, the only part where it failed was
SSH(but thats my fault for not enabling the DNS in the beginning). I will install SSH
now
My biggest concern is speed. I should be getting FreeBSD anytime now, so I can compare
the two on a IDE machine with whole bunch of benchmarks for our applications.

Thx :)