[ale] OpenBSD, FreeBSD

jj at spiderentertainment.com jj at spiderentertainment.com
Tue Dec 14 15:31:21 EST 1999

Dave Brooks wrote:

> the ports tree).  However, OpenBSD is my BSD of choice  -- it's secure
> out of
> the box and it's rock-solid.  (Plus, you can't beat that "Armed to the
> Gills"
> Blowfish on their t-shirts).  The support community behind OpenBSD is a)
> small,
> b) knowledgeable, and c) sometimes a tad abrasive.  This tends to scare
> off
> some OpenBSD newbies (especially those migrating from the "friendly"
> linux-
> community), but as long as you show that you have some sort of a clue,
> they'll
> be more than happy to help you out.

I'm getting back to unix programming and hopefully I can contribute some small
programs.

My issue is performance and security, I don't care much about flexibility
anymore. I like linux because it is alot more friendlier then MS, at least
with linux you can tell if something failed, in MS you get a GPS. But the
company I work for has *outgrowed* linux, we have more attacks and different
stuff.

My ideal goal by the end of next May is to strip a linux kernel from alot of
the stuff that I would not normally need on a PII-400 Raid5 Megaraid.
I looked at the kernel code and I can see it will be if not the biggest task I
have ever done, the most challenging one.

I would think that the *BSD is alot faster then Linux ? no ?

Thx :)