[ale] "Ultimate System"

Brian K. Murphy bmurphy at powerh.net
Mon Dec 13 03:26:03 EST 1999

I am soon going to have the chance to put together a pretty good Linux
system soon.  I am looking for some recommendations on some hardware (and
yes, I have looked through the FAQ's etc, but I want recommendations on
current hardware).  Here is basically what I am looking for ..

Case --I am thinking enlight??

Motherboard -- Dual processor capable, built in SCSI adapter (dual channel
would be nice)  This is the one I need the most help on.  Looking in
Computer Shopper for motherboards is a nightmare....

SCSI drive - am looking at a 9.0 gb Quantum with the new "160mb"
interface..it is backwards compatable with Ultra2 so it works even though no
160 controller is available now.

CD drive -- what is the status of RW drives??  I understand the CD-R's work,
but haven't seen anything about RW's.  My guess is that it works just the
same, but then my guesses have gotten me in a lot of trouble before.

Jaz drive or 4mm tape??  for backup of course

Monitor??  Probably will get a 17" or 19" to start..want to get another down
the road (you know..so I can play quake on one and ummm.... balance the
checkbook on the other)  .

Video card(s).  So, what's the deal with dual cards..I do understand the
Matrox G400 works under Metro-X, but can I put two cards (1 agp and 1 pci)
in a Linux box??  The matrox doesn't really impress me as a "great" gaming
card so I would like to get a voodoo or something similar for Quake and
something more run of the mill --a S3 or whatever the "flavor of the month"
is--for the second monitor.

That is about it I guess...so what are the recommendations??  Although I am
looking for any input on the above items, I am especially interested in
motherboard and video card(s) recommendations.

Thanks in advance,

Keith Murphy