[ale] apache scope

Mike Fletcher fletch at phydeaux.org
Fri Dec 10 21:50:42 EST 1999

>>>>> "krishnamachary" == krishnamachary sudharshan <krishcharysudhar at hotmail.com> writes:

    krishnamachary> hi, i a first time linux user. i installed apache
    krishnamachary> in my linux box and my http server is up. now, i
    krishnamachary> dont know what to do next. i want to know more
    krishnamachary> about apache and want to know how i can use it. i
    krishnamachary> dont have any specific requirements for what to
    krishnamachary> do, may be we wanted to instal IBM web sphere and
    krishnamachary> write EJB and deploy and give a demo for an
    krishnamachary> enterprise app. but i wanted to know what else i
    krishnamachary> can do with that. if somebody can suggest a good
    krishnamachary> book, thats great. how best i can use this apache.

        The O'Reilly book on apache (has a horse on the cover, don't
remember the exact title) isn't great, at least the first edition, as
far as being a good introduction to apache (it's more of a reference).
That may have changed with the second edition, though, so take that
with a grain of salt.  It is written by one of the founding apache
members (Ben Laurie) and is probably worth having if you're working
with apache seriously.

        If you're interested in the apache API, the eagle book
(_Writing Apache Modules with Perl and C_) is a good book to look at
once you've figured the basics out and are looking into customizing
apache for a particular application.

        There's also (IIRC) an ORA book on PHP3, another popular web
development package.  <flamebait>But why use the toy (php) when you
can use the real thing (perl / mod_perl).</flamebait> :)  Seriously
though, if you're dealing with non-programmers php is supposedly a bit
easier to pick up than perl, but perl's got more flexibility and
oodles of ready-made modules available on CPAN.

678 443-6239(w)       |  scary questions." -- Jules                =(___)=
-