[ale] ntp on the wrong port?

Joe Knapka jknapka at charter.net
Fri Dec 10 10:47:44 EST 1999

"Robert L. Harris" wrote:

> Ok,
>   I'm trying to get xntpd configured for my local lan.  I run xntpd
> on my localserver and I can't connect.  According to /etc/services
> it should be running on:
>
> ntp             123/tcp
> ntp             123/udp                         # Network Time Protocol
>
> and when I run lsof to see what it's really doing I get this:
>
> {0}:lh:/root>lsof -i | grep -i ntp
> xntpd     3863 root    5u  IPv4   5813       UDP *:ntp
> xntpd     3863 root    6u  IPv4   5814       UDP localhost:ntp
> xntpd     3863 root    7u  IPv4   5815       UDP lh.rnd-consulting.com:ntp
>
> However when I try to telnet to any of the ports I dont get a
> bloody thing to connect...

You won't, since they're UDP ports; telnet is a TCP
protocol.

Are these xntpd processes clients or servers? They'll
only bind to port 123 if they're servers, I bet. (I don't
know anything about xntpd per se, so this is a shot
in the dark. I just use ntpd here.)

-- Joe

> All I want is my timeserver to sync to an upstream like ntp.nasa.gov
> and my clients to sync to him.  Wether it's polled or broadcast I really
> dont care at this point.
>
> Robert

-- Joe Knapka
* What happens when a mysterious force meets an inscrutable object?