[ale] VALinux IPO

Jeff Waldrop jeff at compgen.com
Thu Dec 9 16:12:28 EST 1999

Mike:  In response to

> I am not bragging.  I didn't even get in on the deal.  I was just showing
> some appreciation to some of those in particular who deserve it.  If you
> didn't know, Mandrake and Rasterman both wrote a great deal of the
> enlightenment code that you are probably using right now if you are using RH
> 5.0 or later.  Both of these guys work for VA Linux...thus the comments.  No
> bragging just well deserved comments for two guys that I have seen post on
> the ALE list.
>
> I am done.  I will not mention VA Linux again unless in the context of using
> their products.....

I was not referring to your comments or your praise for
these people.  What I WAS referring to were elements
in this thread that made it clear that certain people
in the ALE organization DID have a chance to buy into
the IPO, at the initial price (whatever it was, $30 or
whatever).  There was another "special letter" that
went out to certain people in ALE (basically the ones
who did the work for the Showcase), who were allowed
to buy into both this IPO and the one for Red Hat.

When the Red Hat IPO happened, I was able to deal with
it OK, but this second time is just more than I can
stand.  Again, I am NOT saying that these people did
not get what they deserved; however, the less that I
know about it the happier I am.  I use Linux at home
and at work, I do my part to promote Linux to my
friends and family.  It's just this notion that there
is an elite class of Linux folks that get IPO offers
that I don't want to think about.  Raises the blood
pressure, gives me indigestion, and just plain doesn't
help my day.

Jeff Waldrop