[ale] VALinux IPO

Jeff Waldrop jeff at compgen.com
Thu Dec 9 15:27:24 EST 1999

ALE folks:

Just a few words on this "VA Research" thing, and then I
am going to go away.   First of all, I am very happy for
those of you who did well for yourselves as a result of
this IPO.  I know that you all are people who have made
significant contributions to the development of Linux and
the Linux community.

That having been said, I am SICK of you guys using the ALE
mailing list to (effectively) brag about the fact that you
were offered a chance to make some money.  To me this is
"elitism" in its worst form; if I saw one of my children
bragging to one of his friends "I got a new toy and you
didn't" or "I was allowed to buy into a profitable IPO
and you weren't", I would discipline my child for this rude
and inconsiderate behavior.

I have subscribed to the ALE list for over 3 years now, and
it has been very helpful to me as a technical/purchasing
decision resource.  I have posted to the site when I had
questions or when I felt that I had something worthwhile
to contribute.  However, I am going to have myself taken
off of your list because, frankly, if the only purpose for
reading something is to make me unhappy, I don't want to
know about it.  You guys are not helping ALE or the Linux
community by bragging about your special privileges.

Jeff Waldrop