[ale] Web scripting examples

Mike Fletcher fletch at phydeaux.org
Wed Dec 8 16:45:50 EST 1999

    Ray> The source code to the slashdot site is GPL I believe.  It is
    Ray> available from a the code link on the website and is Perl
    Ray> based.  I'm not sure what database it uses but I believe it's
    Ray> MySQL.  Note: I have never looked at the code I just remember
    Ray> the details from CmdrTaco's ramblings early in slashdot's
    Ray> existence.

        It is perl, but it's not at all for the faint of heart or
beginning perl coder from what I've heard.  There are pointers to docs
available off www.perl.com (don't know exact urls off hand, just
look for CGI).  The CGI.pm module also comes with a rather
comprehensive manpage that's always a useful reference to have handy.

        Not really beginner stuff either, but I've got slides from a
talk I gave at ALE last year and at YAPC in August on mod_perl (an
add-on for apache that embeds a perl interpreter inside each httpd
process and lets you do all sorts of cool stuff you can't even think
about doing in a CGI).  They're on the page below:

http://www.phydeaux.org/perl/yapc/

        And whatever you do, avoid any Matt Wright scripts like the
plague.

678 443-6239(w)       |  scary questions." -- Jules                =(___)=