[ale] browser recc's?

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at tfreeman.vnet.net
Mon Aug 30 23:12:55 EDT 1999

I tried Amaya a year or more ago (if memory serves), and was not
particularly impressed either with speed or stability. OTOH, my hardware
was getting old at the time, so some of the trouble could have been me,
and me not know it. YMMV

On Mon, 30 Aug 1999, Brian J. Dowd wrote:

> Has anyone tried the W3C's Amaya browser and composer from www.w3c.org/amaya ?
> -Brian
>
> > I wiped Netscape off my pc a long time ago, it just isn't stable.
> > Instead, I use KFM for all my web browsing. It doesn't have the bells and
> > whistles of Netscape, but it doesn't crash, either.
> >
> > Opera may be available for Linux soon. It worked very well (fast, small
> > footprint, etc) on Windows.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Irv Mullins
> >
> > On Mon, 30 Aug 1999, Jim Kinney wrote:
> > > I've been having problems with 4.6 under kernel 2.2.11. When it dies, it
> > > takes down the entire machine. Keyboard, mouse, AND NETWORKING. I can't
> > > even ssh or telnet in to kill the process. Requires a cold reboot (ugh) to
> > > recover. As this is going to be a web server, I can't keep rebooting it. I
> > > uninstalled, reinstalled, redownloaded, repeated all of the above and
> > > still Netscape dies. It's not dropping core so I have no diagnostics I can
> > > do. Lynx works, but I miss the icon on slashdot :(

Thompson Freeman           Even the Immortal Brahma
                           Shaves before he hugs his mama
tfreeman at vnet.net          Karma Shave