[ale] Backup problems

Gary S. Mackay Gary at edisoninfo.com
Tue Aug 31 09:39:53 EDT 1999

I currently have a cron job that runs each night to backup the entire Linux
hard drive. I do not have a tape drive yet, so the best I can do right now, is
dump it to my NT workstation drive. The cron job uses smbmount to mount the
drive, then uses tar to copy the drive, then smbumount to release it. It all
runs just fine as far as there are no error messages. But..

Command line:
   tar -czvlf /mnt/backup/`date +'%b%d%y'`.tar.gz /

Problems:
1. The Aug3099.tar.gz file that gets created is not readable by WinZip on the
NT box. Since I can extract other *.tar.gz files that I download, I'm guessing
I'm doing something wrong.

2. I am not getting the entire drive backed up. Only the root, and one level
deep I think is all that is getting picked up.

- Gary

--
Edison Information Technologies
P.O. Box 554