[ale] Linux as a router

Michael B Golden naugrim at juno.com
Mon Aug 30 20:06:48 EDT 1999

	I finally have the permission to set up a full time linux-only
box in our house. Now, so as not to look like a complete fool when I try
to do it, I am coming here first. I need to set up a 486DX2/66 as a
router for about 3 computers on a network to be connected to the
internet. (Probably 1 Linux, 2 Win9x). I want it to be fast but fully
featured. Some of the features that I need to have are: basic routing,
possible small firewall, caching web pages for viewing both offline and
for quicker access when online, and the ability to use all normal
internet protocols with it. (http, ftp, telnet, etc.)
And if possible, I would like to be able to run apache and ftpd from the
linux box inside the network.

Now, my questions are:
1. I assume for the routing part that I will have to use IP Masquerading.
What HOWTO's and web pages would a newbie to networking look to?
2. What program would be used for caching?
3. Are there any newbie tutorials for firewalls? (The Firewall HOWTO is
over my head)
4. It needs to be space efficient, stable, and fast. I am probably going
to stick Slackware on because of these requirements. Is there a better
distribution to use for this purpose?
5. What security do I need to worry about?
6. Anything that must be set up at the clients in the network?
7. Anything else you may wish to add to make this easier, more
pleasurable, etc.

Michael Golden
Naugrim at Juno.com (Normal, no attachments)
MGolden at Airapps.com (Only for messages with attachments.)
RedHat 5.2 (2.2.5) Linux user -- Linux Advocate