[ale] Monitors, Video Cards, And LILO Oh My!

Michael Hirsch hirsch at mathcs.emory.edu
Mon Aug 30 09:32:50 EDT 1999

Jeb W Barger <jeb_barger at yahoo.com> writes:

> Ok, now my problem is that I can't seem to run Gnome
> in anything but 800x600 mode.  I have a generic super
> vga monitor.  It it something in my video card
> strings/monitor/ or am I just doing something stupid
> ;-)...

Could be any number of things.  Is it only GNOME that gives you a
problem, or X in general?  If only GNOME, then I'm clueless.  If X in
general, then it should be solvable.

The video card is probably more important than the monitor.  What card
do you have?  How is your X configured?  What error messages does it
print out at startup?

> Another Q, I am dual-booting with LILO (I still need
> my NT, until I get Linux running right), how can I
> change the prompt and the choices.  For example, my
> choices are Linux and Dos...Also, how do I change the
> order?

Look at the /etc/lilo.conf file.  The first choice in the file is the
default.

To change the message, there is a message=message-file option that
allows you to print anything you want at boot time.  'man lilo.conf'
for more details.

Hope that helps,

--
--Michael