[ale] Peer To Peer Networking

Ryan twobarrel at maxinter.net
Tue Aug 24 19:34:44 EDT 1999

  Here is my next question on the never ending list of no-brainers.  At
work we have a network consisting of Windoze95 boxes slapped together.
I installed Redhat 5.2 on a computer ( duh, what else ) that is a
dual-boot w/ Windoze.  Winders works fine on the
computer/hardware/network, but I want to use Linux instead.  I set up
the /etc/hosts file and eth0 is supposedly active ( that's what the
control panel says ).  We have no dhcp, bootp or DNS system.  I can ping
the machine's localhost as well as the static ip I assigned during
install.  All the documentation I have read says I need to configure he
DNS services, but I am not sure how to if I have nothing to configure.
I understand how to set up the DNS due to getting my box at home onto
the Internet.  But I am not sure with this.  Anybody have an idea as to
what I am missing?

        Ryan