[ale] Dual NICs with a cable modem

Joe Knapka jknapka at charter.net
Tue Aug 24 00:20:51 EDT 1999

Hi, Scott,

That is the exact setup I (and presumably many others) have.
It is pretty much just a case of setting your default interface
to NIC1 rather than ppp0. The only possible wrench in
the works is DHCP. If your IP address is changed, you will need
to refresh your firewall rules. dhcpcd
<http://www.phystech.com/download>
executes a script if it detects an IP change; you can use
that script to fix up your fw chains. dhcpcd also saves the
assigned IP address in a file. It's all documented in the
README that comes with the distribution. I'll send you
my fixup script if you want.

Luck,

-- Joe

Scott Nolde wrote:

> I'm about to get a cable modem installed in my house and I'd like to use
> my RH6 linux box to firewall the NIC and masquerade to other computers.
>
> I've had the IP masquerading thing going for a long time now with a
> modem ppp connection so reconfiguration on that part should be minimal.
>
> Assuming I get the new NIC installed and configured for DHCP properly,
> how do I configure the routing table and other configurables to go thru
> the cablemodem NIC?
>
> The system structure is this:
>
>           |        Linux Computer               |
> CABLE <---|---> NIC1 <<-- Firewall -->> NIC2 <--|--> |HUB| --> LAN
>
> Any suggestions?  Documents?
>
> Thanks,
> Scott
>                  Scott Nolde
>          smnolde-linux at mindspring.com

-- Joe Knapka
* I speak only for myself, not for these idiots:
* The Software Monastery - "Better Software Through Divine
* Intervention." Source-code prayer vigils available - nominal
* donation $0.01/LOC. http://whyme.penguinpowered.com/monastery.html