[ale] Dual NICs with a cable modem

Scott Nolde smnolde-linux at mindspring.com
Mon Aug 23 23:15:44 EDT 1999

I'm about to get a cable modem installed in my house and I'd like to use
my RH6 linux box to firewall the NIC and masquerade to other computers.

I've had the IP masquerading thing going for a long time now with a
modem ppp connection so reconfiguration on that part should be minimal.

Assuming I get the new NIC installed and configured for DHCP properly,
how do I configure the routing table and other configurables to go thru
the cablemodem NIC?

The system structure is this:

          |        Linux Computer               |
CABLE <---|---> NIC1 <<-- Firewall -->> NIC2 <--|--> |HUB| --> LAN

Any suggestions?  Documents?

Thanks,
Scott
                 Scott Nolde