[ale] re: mediaone dhcp problem

Zephaniah E. Hull warp at whitestar.soark.net
Sat Aug 21 15:01:06 EDT 1999

--1yeeQ81UyVL57Vl7

As I missed the first messages on this thread I may be a bit off,
however if your problem is that the DHCP client can not seem to talk to
the server you need to force it to force it to be RFC1541 (which is
obsolete) compliant.

For dhcpcd the argument you need is -r..

Hope this helps..

Zephaniah E. Hull..

On Wed, Aug 18, 1999 at 06:28:45PM -0400, linuxhat at mailandnews.com wrote:
> On 18 Aug 1999, Jacob Langseth wrote:
>=20
> >Can you plug the cable modem interface into the
> >internal Lan, ifconfig the address properly and
> >successfully talk to the internal machines?
>=20
> Yes.
>=20
> >Have you tried bringing the system up with only the
> >cable modem interface, and no ip masquerading
> >enabled?
>=20
> Yes.  No dice.
>=20
> >If it works this way, it may be an obscure configuration
> >issue relating to your firewall, though from the original
> >email it didn't sound as if you had changed the configuration
> >recently.  Make sure ipfwadm -c accepts the arp reply
> >properly.
>=20
> Didn't.  IPCHAINS, not IPFWDADM.  Hmmm. =20
>=20
> >Something else to try while your poking around, though I
> >don't know why it would make any kind of a difference,
> >would be to force feed the MAC address of the gateway
> >as received by the laptop into your arp table via arp -s;
> >it be interesting if it the connection started working.
>=20
> Soon as I replace the nic in my own laptop (the service droid is long gon=
e).
>=20
> -- Glenn
>=20

--=20
 PGP EA5198D1-Zephaniah E. Hull <warp at whitestar.soark.net>-GPG E65A7801
    Keys available at http://whitestar.soark.net/~warp/public_keys.
           CCs of replies from mailing lists are encouraged.

--1yeeQ81UyVL57Vl7

--1yeeQ81UyVL57Vl7--