[ale] AIX and Linux

Eric Z. Ayers eric.ayers at mindspring.com
Thu Aug 19 15:58:53 EDT 1999

Jonathan,

you should be able to find a font named something like erg14.pcf
somewhere on the AIX box.  You need to copy this file, add this into
one of your X11 font directories (in your X server font path), and run
mkfontdir.  Then you have to either restart your x server or run some
sort of command like 'xset -fp rehash ' (I don't remember exactly.),
or restart the font server.

Once you get that working, you'll probably also need to find the font for
-*-roman-medium-r-normal--8-50-100-100-c-*-ISO8859-1., whatever that is.

This will get rid of the two error messages below.  Why you have no
keyboard ops is a mystery.  Maybe it is related to the font problem,
but then again, it might not be.  You may need entries from XKeySymDB
on the AIX box, but that is just a guess.

-Eric.