[ale] cdrecord creates cd readable on Linux/NT NOT Win95?

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Thu Aug 19 09:23:48 EDT 1999

Wandered Inn enscribed thusly:
> "Michael H. Warfield" wrote:

> >         Make sure you also add the "-pad" option to cdrecord any time

> I was able to get it to work on a windows box that has a 32x cdrom, but
> not able to get it to work on another machine that has a 2x cdrom.  I
> was using some 'off brand' cd-rw discs.  I then pulled out a Hi-val cd-r
> and burned it.  It works on both the 32x and 2x.  I don't know if the
> difference is the quality of the cd or the fact that one is a cd-rw and
> the other is a cd-r.... ???

	BINGO!

	MOST older (read that as slower) will not read CD-RW disks.  I can
take CD-RW's that have been burned and read them in most newer (24x and 32x)
drives but not have them read in any CD drives (or CD-R drives) that are
older than a year or two old.  The reason is supposedly that the contrast
is much much lower on the CD-RW disks and the older drives couldn't read
the low returning signal level.  This is a known problem.  It was known
when CD-RW drives and disks first hit the market and people were saying that
the only downside (in addition to the cost) was that older CD-ROM drives
could not read CD-RW media.

> >         I reported it to Microsoft and I think they fixed it in SP5 (maybe).

> SP5?  I've not kept up with the SPs on 95, I guess I ought to get busy
> installing them as well.

	:=)

> --
> Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

> It should be illegal to yell "Y2K" in a crowded economy.
> 	-- Larry Wall, creator of the programming language Perl

	Mike
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 925-8248   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/