[ale] ISP Connection

Eric Z. Ayers eric.ayers at mindspring.com
Wed Aug 18 21:25:25 EDT 1999

This problem is is almost always the permissions on the pppd daemon,
or a restriction w/in PPPD itself.  PPPD must be setuid root, and
/dev/cua0 (or /dev/ttyS0) must be read/write for all users.

-r-sr-x---   1 root     pppusers   111932 Apr  1 07:02 /usr/sbin/pppd
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     uucp       5,  64 Oct  4  1998 /dev/cua0
crwxrw-rw-   1 root     root       4,  64 Oct  4  1998 /dev/ttyS0

If you are using pap or chap authentication by specifying the '-user'
option to pppd, pppd insists that you be root.  At work, I have
modified the PPPD source code to remove this restriction on a machine
we use as a terminal server. (hooray for open source!)

-Eric.