[ale] question about slow internet connection....

Chris Kilroy kilroyc at ufl.edu
Tue Aug 17 14:44:02 EDT 1999

Hey, just joined the list, no LUG in St.Augustine, so i
figured, hell i went to high school in atlanta, i'll try
them out....

anyway, i am running RH 6.0, 2.2.5 kernel, i686 that is a
dual boot w/ Win98.
I've been using linux regularly for about 6 months.

I just moved from an environment where i had a direct
connection to the internet, and now i have to dial up.  So i
have an external 3com 56k modem which works beautifully w/
windows.

running linux, I can connect to my ISP with either kppp or
linuxconf.  The problem is that my connection is really
slow.  netscape takes forever to load pages, and times out
trying to retrieve my imap mail (problems that dont exist w/
win, so it isnt hardware or the ISP).

i configured the serial port speed to 117kb w/ minicom.
adapt. 1 is ppp0 w/ DHCP enabled.  search order is DNS then
hosts, got rid of NIS.

anybody have any ideas on other things i can try to get it
working smoothly?  or mistakes i may have made?

Thanks-

Chris

--
-----