[ale] LILO blues

Glenn C. Lasher Jr. critter at shell.wizvax.net
Tue Aug 17 12:33:45 EDT 1999

Hm.  Well, where do I start?

Well, I blew away my Slackware 3.3 by accident, and it was residing on
/dev/hda2, with home mounted on /dev/hda3 and a couple of other
miscellaneous things on /dev/hda4 and /dev/hdc2.  /dev/hda1 and hdc1 were
swap partitions.

This happened while trying to install Slackware 4.0 on /dev/sda1.  Its
home would be /dev/sda2, with other stuff on /dev/sdb2 and swap on
/dev/sdb1.  This was, in turn to make room for Winblows NT to go on
/dev/hda and /dev/hdc. (unfortunately, a requisite for my work).

What happened is this:  LILO decided that it was going to take over the
hda mbr instead of the sda one like it was supposed to do.  As a result,
neither OS boots, unless I plug in a bootable floppy, for Linux, or use
DOS fdisk to clobber the LILO on hda.

My system can be configured to boot from either hda or sda.  I want to
switch OS's by changing this parameter in the BIOS.  Therefore, I need to
have LILO on sda.  Why won't it go there?!?!?

Many thanks.

--
Critter at Wizvax.Net
Stealing is illegal... the government hates competition.