[ale] Serial capture/analysis tool needed

John Mills jmmills at avana.net
Thu Aug 12 23:23:04 EDT 1999

On Thu, 12 Aug 1999 linuxhat at mailandnews.com wrote:
> On 12 Aug 1999, John Mills wrote:
> > I have to capture serial exchanges between a PC and a controlled peripheral
> > on a serial RS-232 line. ...
> Assuming the PC is initiating the connection, sounds like not an app, but a
> rewrite of the serial device driver...

I guess I wasn't clear: I have a Win box connected to a "smart" peripheral
via RS-232 and I want to "snoop" on the exchange between them. Character
traffic is probably sufficient, but it is also possible they are using
some modem-control lines, too. I need to see the interrogate/response
sequences as I command different activities from the Win box's screen. I
expect I will need to build some cables, which is no problem.

 Regards -
 John Mills