[ale] Linux ISP Dialing w/ MCI Worldcom

J. Patrick Graves jpgraves at bellsouth.net
Tue Aug 10 18:39:32 EDT 1999

If you are "dialing" into your ISP, you'll probably be using pppd, not dhcpcd.
I'm not certain, but I don't think that pppd behaves the same way that dhcpcd
does regarding the offerred DNS information.  You can offer DNS information when
running a Linux dial-in server with pppd, but I don't think you can recieve it
when running as a client.  You can also run scripts after pppd connects - but
that doesn't do you much good if you don't have the DNS information.

Anyway, it makes very little difference if you use a caching nameserver.

jpg